logoandaddressblue.PNG


WATAUGA


History of Watauga

First City Hall
First City Hall
5633 Linda Drive

City Hall Annex and Police Station
City Hall Annex / Police Station
5629 Linda Drive



Incorporation of the City of Watauga, TX
The petition for incorporation was filed, approved and ordered on September 24, 1958. The City of Watauga was incorporated on October 11,1958 after an election.

First Settlers

Many years prior to settlers, Cherokee Indians first settled in Watauga, meaning village of many springs. They were in search of the bountiful game, fertile fields, and clear spring waters. Around 1843, hardy settlers from Tennessee first arrived in the village. Among some of the first settlers were: W.A., Margaret and James Walker, Jane Weir, Willie Potts, William, Samuel, Martha and Nancy Evins, William, Julia and Mary Carlton, Syrena Stowel and Sarah Henderson. Thankful for the rich farmland and abundant fish and game, and aware of their dependence on God, the early settlers organized the first Church in Watauga, the Willow Springs Presbyterian Church on December 14, 1867. In 1972, a state historical marker was presented to designate the Church’s historical recognition for serving the Lord for over one hundred years.



 

June Parker First Town Marshall and Deputy Tim Turner
June Parker (First Town Marshall)
and Deputy Tim Turner

Town Marshall and Deputy with Watauga Police Car
Town Marshall and Deputy


Sandy Luedke
Sandy Luedke
Broker